The MILC Club is an interdisciplinary group of researchers, trainees and knowledge users (healthcare providers and community stakeholders) who are interested in breastfeeding, human milk and lactation. We meet monthly to discuss MILC initiatives, share updates, and catalyze knowledge mobilization. Each meeting includes a presentation from a Member or Special Guest. If you are interested in joining the MILC Club or giving a Guest presentation, please contact us!
- January - Katherine Kearns MD, Christina Raimondi MD & Richa Tandon MD (Winnipeg Breastfeeding Centre): Lactation physicians in family medicine practice
- February - Sarah Reyes PhD (Postdoctoral Fellow, Azad Lab): The Effect of Typical At-Home Pumping and Storage Practices on the Human Milk Microbiome: A Brief Overview of the MiLC Trial.
- March - Carol Dyck IBCLC (Winnipeg Breastfeeding Network): October 2020 World Breastfeeding Week
- April - Angela Blouin RN (Winnipeg Regional Health Authority): Breastfeeding support resources in Winnipeg
- May - Nathan Nickel PhD (Manitoba Centre for Health Policy): Public Health Agency of Canada Baby Friendly Collaborative
- June - Uma Yakandawala (MSc Student, Kelly Lab): Medications in breast milk
- July - Special Guest: Fiona Jardine, PhD (Advanced Lactation Consultant): Breastfeeding Without Nursing: Exclusive Pumping Research
- August - Special Guest: Jannette Festival, RN IBCLC (Executive Director, NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank): NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank
- September - Special Guest: Bridgette McGann, BA Anthropology (Science Writer and Advocate, March of Science): Breastfeeding Denialism
- October - Shreyas Kumbhare (Postdoctoral Fellow, Azad Lab): Mother's Own Milk in the NICU: Association with gut microbiota and oxidative stress in very low birthweight infants
- November - Uma Yakandawala (MSc Student, Kelly Lab): Systematic review data and comparison with the CHILD study data
- December - No meeting.
- March - Christine Leong, PharmD (University of Manitoba): Medications in Milk
- April - Sarah Turner (PhD student, Azad Lab): Examining the associations between infant feeding and child behaviour.
- May - Special Guest: Sarah Reyes (PhD Candidate, Cornell University): Human Milk Microbiome
- June - No meeting
- July - Brandy Wicklow, MD (Children's Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba): Breastmilk medicine: Our chance to change the intergenerational impact of T2D
- August - Julie Halipchuk, RN (Winnipeg Regional Health Authority): Breastfeeding and diabetes
- September - Merilee Brockway, PhD RN IBCLC (Postdoctoral Fellow, Azad Lab): Matching donor human milk based on maternal secretor status
- October - Nathan Nickel, PhD (Manitoba Centre for Health Policy): PHAC-funded Baby-Friendly Quality Improvement
- November - Gary Shen, MD (University of Manitoba): Breastfeeding and Gut Microbiome in Rural and Remote First Nations
- December - No meeting